Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Crème Chantilly

I just saw some images from New York's hurricanes.
So unbelievable.

Irene, in 2011, was finally something very calm regarding Sandy.

I don't want to begin a debate on this blog, but climatic changes are really worrying. 

Two opposite ideas : 
Man action is devastating earth and climate.
Earth's climate has always changed during millions years. 

In my opinion, there must be a mixing of those two assumptions.

But, for sure, since some years, we're seeing strange weather behaviors. 

On the other side, we're judging with our age. I don't remember if in 1912 or 1732, winter was hot or not. 
I don't know if in 1549, it snowed in july.

But it doesn't prevent us to worry. Because we're living this period and now... we know.

In the south east of france, since some years, we live many "natural catastrophe", as we say here. 
This is not hurricanes. This is violent storm, generally, violent rain. 
Two years ago, in a big town close to mine, river went really high and inundation caused 50 dead persons, in a tragic way : people trapped in underground parking lot, people trapped in their own home, houses carried along by river waters with people in it...etc ...
It was terrific.

And the day after, sun was shining so bright ...  
Just to make you remember how much we're nothing against Nature. 

Today, here, we're in "orange alert". We're waiting for violent winds and storm. 
And Corsica is waiting for tempest. 

This post is a little bit sad, today, I apologize.

So, I'm going to share with you an easy recipe of Crème Chantilly. 
Because we need something light and sweet today.

I hate industrial Chantilly ! And I thought for years I didn't like Chantilly.
Until my husband's aunt made an ARTISANAL crème Chantilly.
And it was Heaven. 

Creme chantilly is very easy to bake, but some points are obligatory to succeed it.

Here what you'll need : 
  • 60 cl of liquid whole cream (no other possibility ! It must be whole cream)
  • 50 grammes of white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of vanilla liquid.

Your cream must be extra cold ! In the fridge from the day before ! 
I put bowl and whisk in the freezer for one hour before. Or in the fridge for two hours.
Everything must be very cold. This is the only secret of this recipe.

Step 1 : 
Pour your cream in your bowl's processor and start it, slowly at the beginning and little by little, each 30 seconds, let it go faster. 
It have to be whisked very fast.


A lid will wonderfully help if you don't want to see your face and your kitchen's wall totally drenched !

Let it whisk for 10 minutes or so. It takes a long time !
When I began to bake Chantilly, I thought for several time, I failed it. Just because I was whisking few minutes. 
Of course, it was still liquid !

Step 2 : 
When you'll see the mixture changing, add sugar and vanilla.
It must become "solid", fluffy, as a wedding dress.





Step 3 : 
Stir some seconds to combine everything.


That's it. 
Put it in fridge immediately. You can eat it for two days. No more. 


Bon appétit ! 

Recapitulative : 

  • 60 cl of liquid whole cream (no other possibility ! It must be whole cream)
  • 50 grammes of white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of vanilla liquid.


Your cream must be extra cold ! In the fridge from the day before ! 
Bowl and whisk in the freezer for one hour before. Or in the fridge for two hours.
Everything must be very cold. This is the only secret of this recipe.

Step 1 : 
Pour your cream in your bowl's processor and light it, slowly at the beginning and little by little, each 30 seconds, let it go faster. 
It have to be whisked very fast.

Let it whisk for 5 - 10 minutes. 

When you'll see the mixture changing, add sugar and vanilla.
It must become "solid", fluffy, as a wedding dress.

Stir some seconds to combine everything.

That's it. 
Put it in fridge immediately. You can eat it for two days. No more. 



6 comments:

  1. I have been reading all about Hurricane Sandy and my heart goes out to the people affected.
    Chantilly Creme is something that I have never tried to make before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyce.
      It's very easy and delicious, believe my hips ... ;)

      Delete
  2. I like your even ideas about climate change. They are thoughtful and fair.
    I always think like that....if the world is millions of years old...what was the weather like then....we had an ice age...did humans cause that? no. But we do need to be good stewards of the land we live on...I don't think we should waste and be dirty.

    Do you put the creme on something?
    Is it eaten alone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Donna, I'm really happy to read you here ;)
      I totally share your thoughts, too. Maybe we have a responsibility. For sure. But weather is not something rigid.
      The difference, in my opinion, is that, living a communication's period, now, we know it.
      And you're right too : it doesn't mean we have to do nothing and to wait, wasting and being dirty.
      For the creme, you can use it for millions things : with strawberries, on crumble, in a black coffee... or just like that, with a spoon... yuuuum ... ;)

      Delete
  3. Chantilly is really good with apple pie, chocolate mousse, crumbles, chocolate cake, and so many other desserts :D I love home-made chantilly (although I never added vanilla extract, that's a nice idea)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes, yes !!! You're right, it goes with all that too.
      You can even perfume it with alcohol or coffee extract. I made one with rum ... YUM ! ;)

      Delete